Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:49:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   synchronizing the world and ports (repost)

Hey, doesn't anyone have a suggestion? ;)

I'm leaning towards the "make install in src/share/mk" idea....

Satoshi
-------
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:48:02 -0800 (PST)
To: ports@freebsd.org
Subject: synchronizing the world and ports
From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)

Hi,

I think we should put bsd.port*.mk under /usr/ports.  The reason why I
was reluctant to do this was because that's not the end of the story,
and could give people less incentive to get the upgrade kits.  But I
think I've figured out a way to solve that problem.

We can have the upgrade kits install a file in /var/db/pkg with
"version number".  The version number is a nondecreasing integer that
I change when there is a change to the upgrade kits.  The new
bsd.port.mk under /usr/ports will check the version against itself and
people will be asked to install a new upgrade kit first if the version
is too small.

However, there is a slight problem with this -- the real -current
followers (those that do a regular "make world") will be shunned.  I
need to find a way to upgrade the version automatically.

Ideally, this will be done when the user upgrades the required
component (/usr/libexec/elf/ld in the latest case) but I'm afraid that
would be too hard, and I'll settle for something that is done by
"make world" itself.

Any ideas?  A new entry in src/Makefile.inc*?  Something in
src/share/mk/Makefile?  (Which is probably not a very good idea, as
people are used to do a "make install" in there and that will only
install empty bsd.port*.mk files.)

Satoshi