Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:54:23 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP

> Here's your communication problem. People may or may not follow
> discussions. Perhaps an "official" announcement on the "official"
> channels (for some definition of "official") would solve this problem
> in the future?

That's an oversimplification of events.  I only sent you the start of
the thread, as I said, I did not send you every single message in the
discussion, up to and including the point where it was more generally
announced that the last official sup server was going away and we were
in "compatibility only mode."

On the 6th of March, I then announced the death of spatter.freebsd.org
in -hackers, posting a follow-up shortly afterwards that any services
running on it should also be considered suspended until alternate
providers could be found.  The CNAME for sup.freebsd.org was also
pointed to burka.rdy.com, a site which is still running a sup server
as far as I know.

I really don't know what more we could have done.  Yes, I could have
posted a more official announcement, but considering that the sup
users were supposed to have transitioned over 6 months previously (my
first message suggesting this as an advisable course of action was
sent in August of 1996!) I just didn't think about it.  It's not like
spatter was or is the *only* sup site alive at the time.

					Jordan