Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:38:07 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: start xdm on a particular vty

Luoqi Chen scribbled this message on Sep 3:
> There have been discussions about the xdm entry /etc/ttys does not guarantee
> the X server being started on the particular vty. So I wrote a shell script
> to explicitly tell xdm to start X server on a specific vty. It's been working
> great. I'd like to share it with you, maybe we could include it in the base
> system. Here's the script (I call it xdmstart), it's very simple,
>
> #!/bin/sh
> case $1 in
eval i=\$$#
case $i
> ttyv*)
> 	vt=vt`expr $1 : 'ttyv\(.*\)' + 1`;;
> *)	vt=;;
> esac
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon -server ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 $vt"

then you have a section like:
i=1
st=""
while [ $i -lt $# ]; do
	st="$st"' "$'${i}'"'
	i=$(($i + 1))
done
eval exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon -server \":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X $st :0 \$vt\"

that way you can provide -query hostname or another argument to the
Xserver..

I haven't tested that the eval exec line works properly, but I do know
that the rest of the script works fine though... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson