Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 13:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SUBDIR in Makefiles - usage thereof

>  * 	SUBDIR?=
>  * 	SUBDIR += this
>  * 	SUBDIR += that
>  * 	SUBDIR += the_other
>  * 	SUBDIR += foobar
>
> Actually I thought about this before when I was cleaning up the
> Makefiles, the reason why I didn't want to go for it at that time was
> because I thought it will make the subdir Makefiles too long and
> scroll off my screen.

This is a good idea!

> Also, it will make it easier when we formally support the RESTRICTED
> and BROKEN keywords, as we can do something like
>
> BROKEN     += a_broken_port
> SUBDIR     += a_good_port
> RESTRICTED += cryptic_port
> SUBDIR     += great_port
> SUBDIR     += some_port
> RESTRICTED += what_a_jerk

Another Good Idea(TM), infact his one is a Better Idea!!

> and still have them in alphabetical order. :)
>
>  * This minor change buys flexibility, it's also been tried & tested before
>  * (& is still to be seen in such files as src/Makefile)
>
> BTW, I definitely don't want turn this into a sea of
>
> .if exists(foodir)
> SUBDIR += foodir
> .endif

Please don't I am about to rewrite that into something like this:

SUBDIR=
.for i in ${DIRLIST}
.if exits(${i})
	SUBDIR+= ${i}
.endif
.endfor

> the next 24 hours or so, I'll go ahead and update all the Makefiles.

I object, you are in code freeze, don't go do a wide sweeping change
like this, wait for after 2.0.5.