Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 14:01:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Heyer <john@arnie.jfive.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS Server and Slave on different LANS

This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find an
answer in the docs or the list archives.   Is it possible to run an NIS
server and slave on different networks?  as crudely shown below:

     External LAN            ||          Internal LAN
NIS Master +----+ Proxy server running natd +----+ NIS Slave +---+ NIS Clients

I imagine the machine running natd would have to redirect some ports to
the Slave, but I don't know which ones.   Anybody have a situation close
to this working?  I could run the slave on the proxy server itself, but
would prefer the slave to be entirely internal.

--
Johh Heyer - john@arnie.jfive.com - http://www.jfive.com

"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!"  -- Ralph Wiggam