Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:00:29 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Fernando_Apestegu=C3=ADa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
To:        marino@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synchronizing package defaults with Linuxes?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM, John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st> wrote:
> On 4/16/2014 15:53, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> What do you think of the idea of syncing versions in general, and this
>> example of PostgreSQL in particular?
>
> The example of PostgreSQL isn't really good because people have been
> asking for change in default for probably two years now.  I have no clue
> as to why it hasn't changed but people do not want 9.0 as the default.
>
> BTW, DPorts has had postgresql 9.2 as the default for 15 months now,
> everything is fine, so there is no reason that I know of why FreeBSD
> isn't at least at 9.2.
>

> As for syncing with Linux -- I personally don't like the idea.  The
> defaults should be picked deliberately, not because _____ Linux is at
> whatever version.

I agree. "syncing with Linux" is at least vague. Which distros should
be want to be synced with? Ubuntu? Fedora? Mint?

Also, syncing with "Linux" (for whatever value of "Linux") would mean
that even if FreeBSD wants to have a higher version of some synced
package we should hold the change until "Linux" does it... I'm not
sure if this is a good idea. Besides, as in the example of PostgreSQL
not even the Linux distros are really synced between them.

Cheers.