Date:               Fri, 7 Jun 1996 15:20:40 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        novell@listserv.syr.edu, questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: Seagate ST32151N/Adaptec 2940 on Asus P55TP4N and PVI48

Brian's suggestion gave me pause -- it turns out some of these drives may
be shipping with the Motor Enable option set, something Adaptec doesn't
apparently support (and no option in SCSI-Select).  Once that jumper was
removed, voila!  Tekram, Asus, and Symbios circumvent this somehow.

Oddly enough, one of the drives had no jumper for Termination Power (from
Drive, From Bus, or To Bus) set, and of itself that was no problem --
still bad form, though.

I'm getting one more of these things from a yet another vendor, then I'll
know for sure if the "configured from factory theory" holds water or not.

|  To:             "Brian K. Voorhes" <briboy@i2020.net>
|  Subject:        Re: Seagate ST32151N/Adaptec 2940 on Asus P55TP4N and PVI48
|  Date sent:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:30:20

|  |        Actually, that description sounds very much like incorrect SCSI
|  |  termination to me. What are all the devices you use on that card? Where are
|  |  your terminated devices?
|
|  I quite agree, but for the following:
|
|      1 host adapter, 1 drive
|      Adaptec SCSI-select has termination enabled
|      drive is in an external enclosure, cabled and terminated actively
|      other Seagate models (ie, ST31200N) have been subbed with no problem
|
|  As per standard cabling practice, only the ends of the chain are
|  terminated.  When I've used the drive internally, I enable termination on
|  it via jumper block.

I should have looked at it closer, sooner       8).

|  The drive has been successfully partitioned and newfs'd under Solaris 2.4
|  on an Axil 320, as well as completely setup before with an Asus SC-200
|  controller for FreeBSD 2.1.0.

And the people that supplied the one in the case used preliminary specs
(4617 cyls vs. 4117) and were unable to put a whole 2GB partition on it.
Very nasty (newfs yielded seek error).

|  The cables and terminator have been all been successfully used on a
|  variety of Sun and Intel patforms without incident.
|
|  I've tried 3 different Asus motherboards (2 P55TP4N, 1 PVI486SP3) with
|  the same results.  One of the P55's runs NT 3.51, flawlessly for over 3
|  months now.

cheers,
larry