Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 01:31:21 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        <fbsd@a1poweruser.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Garance A Drosihn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is the wrong solution.  I'm sure
> you will love this *IFF* (that means "if and ONLY if")
> all of *YOUR* ports are in that category of important
> ports.  We have 15,000 ports because every single one
> of those ports has some users who think that specific
> port is important.  While I'm sure that some ports
> will be willing to be in the "second tier" category,
> I suspect you'll still have thousands of ports with
> hundreds of thousands of users who will be personally
> insulted if <someBastard> refused to include their
> favorite port in the "important" category.  I doubt
> you will find anyone who wants to volunteer for the
> role of <someBastard>, because that is certainly the
> only name which will be used to describe whoever
> chooses which ports are in the special category.

How about implement a system where by ports register
their usage to a central server. This will give us
some very useful stats about port usage and after some
time this is examind and all ports whos usage falls
under a given measure ( to be decided again by stats )
said port is moved to a secondary port group.

We could also use this info to prune ports not getting
any use at all.

In addition to that a method of syncing ports indivitually
might be an alternative way to go. That way instead of
syncing the many thousands of ports to compile up the
latest version of XXX you would only have to download
the port you wanted and any dependencies.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.