Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:57:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net, billf@chc-chimes.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/9864: make rblcheck use relay.orbs.org instead  of

> And as someone with an address on 99% of all spamdiscs out there, I
> concur.  I also receive postmaster mail here, so I get even more...  Here
> we see about 60% of spam coming from the dialup ports of large providers.
> Sending mail to their abuse departments does nothing.  If it's a smaller
> provider, I generally get a nice note back stating the account was
> cancelled.

I am not on most of the "spamdiscs"; I'm actually one of the few
people to get off of Sanford Wallace's list before he sold them
out.

The reason is simple: if you realy SPAM to me, you will 99.9% of
the time lose your relay.

What this means is that it's not cost effective to SPAM me, and,
in fact, damages the value of the list you have purchased by making
you less able to use it.

SPAMmers understand economics, even if the people who are supposedly
trying to prevent SPAM apparently do not (or their soloutions would
speak to the wallet, not the non-existant morality of the sender).

> 1) large providers do not even give out static addresses
> 2) smaller ones (like us) have those in a seperate block from the dynamic
> pools, making it easy for someone to leave the static IPs alone.  There's
> also some sense in doing it by name.  Blocking *.da.uu.net will not hurt
> static IP customers.  If you have a static IP, you are most likely going
> to be named something.blah.com with no special naming convention that
> identifies you as a dial access user.

The smaller providers that give out statics exist because they
simply have not grown to the point where they have exhausted their
addrress space yet.  Everyone eventually does and/or chooses to
voluntarily limit the maximum size of their customer base.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.