Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:00:19 +0200
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        marino@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synchronizing package defaults with Linuxes?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 05:27:43PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> On 4/16/2014 15:53, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > What do you think of the idea of syncing versions in general, and this
> > example of PostgreSQL in particular?
>
> The example of PostgreSQL isn't really good because people have been
> asking for change in default for probably two years now.  I have no clue
> as to why it hasn't changed but people do not want 9.0 as the default.
>
> BTW, DPorts has had postgresql 9.2 as the default for 15 months now,
> everything is fine, so there is no reason that I know of why FreeBSD
> isn't at least at 9.2.
>

> As for syncing with Linux -- I personally don't like the idea.  The
> defaults should be picked deliberately, not because _____ Linux is at
> whatever version.

I tend to agree with John on both points.

Changing default software versions to be in line with whatever the Linux
distribution of the week is doing is futile.

Changing default software versions to something reasonably stable and recent
makes sense.

Concerning Postgres, 9.3 is the latest stable version, brings JSON support
to the table and doesn't need SYSV shared memory sysctl tuning anymore.
Making it the new default is the logical choice.

--
Francois Tigeot