Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:15:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Lawrence Commander <lcommand@ee.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using dip: no route to host

(replying for the mail archive)

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Doug White wrote:

> You don't set a default route, unless that's what 'default' does.  Check
> netstat -rn.  The routing semantics may have changed so dip doesn't know
> how to set routes anymore.

> > Destination net/address set to 'default'
> > Local IP ... 193.60.255.6
> > Remote IP .. 193.60.255.5
> > Netmask .... 255.255.255.0
> > MTU ........ 1500
> [...]
> > --- 144.82.100.41 ping statistics ---
>
> Note this is off your local subnet.

OK I got it to work (Thanks!!) by simply doing the following:

localhost# route add default 193.60.255.37
add net default: gateway 193.60.255.37

Now I still don't understand what's happening as according to
the dip man page that's exactly what 'default' does in a
dip script (it says it executes 'route add default $rmtip').
Anyway, it works so I'm happy, thanks again.

Lawrence.

 | Lawrence Commander,	                 Tel: (+44) 0171 419 3990 |
 | Research Fellow,                      Fax: (+44) 0171 387 4350 |
 | Dept of Elec. Eng.,                                            |
 | University College London,                                     |
 | London WC1E 7JE                  e-mail: lcommand@ee.ucl.ac.uk |
 | UK.                          http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/~lcommand |