Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 15:12:02 -0400
From:      OCD Support <support@kawartha.com>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        Network Administrator <techmail@qualserve.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Hardware

On the note of cdrom.com here's their config from their website:

wcarchive.cdrom.com is an Intel architecture PC machine running the FreeBSD
operating system.

Its configuration is as follows:

Micron NetFRAME 9201 system, consisting of:

        One 500MHz Intel Pentium-III Xeon CPU w/512K L2 cache
        4GB of main memory (16 * 256MB 50ns ECC EDO DIMMs)
        1 Adaptec AHA-2940U2W PCI single-channel wide Ultra-2 SCSI controller
        2 Adaptec AHA-3940AUW PCI dual-channel wide UltraSCSI controller
        1 Intel Pro/100+ PCI 100Mbps Fast Ethernet controller
        1 Bay Networks Netgear GA620 Gigabit Ethernet adapter

        Please visit http://www.micronpc.com/web/walnutcreek.html for more
        information on the NetFRAME 9201 system.

Storage subsystem:

1 Siliconrax SR-485 rack mount peripheral chassis
1 Mylex DAC960SXI SCSI-SCSI 6 channel RAID controller, w/256MB cache
1/2 terabyte of disk storage, consisting of:
        18 18GB ultra-wide SCSI drives (IBM)
        18 9.1GB ultra-wide SCSI drives (Micropolis, Quantum)
        2 9.1GB LVD SCSI 10K RPM disk drives (Seagate Cheetah)
        4 Kingston Technologies DS500 "Data Silo" disk cabinets w/hot swap

Most of the disk drives are housed in 4 industrial rack mount chassis made
by Kingston Technologies. Each drive array is connected to its own SCSI
channel on the Mylex RAID controller. The RAID controller is mounted
in the Siliconrax cabinet. It has two host channels that are connected
to the Adaptec AHA-3940AUW controllers in ultra-wide (40MB/sec) mode.
The Seagate Cheetahs are the system disks and are mounted in the main
cabinet and connected to the Adaptec AHA-2940U2W controller in 80MB/sec
LVD mode.

A picture of the machine is available at:

        ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.jpg

Our connection to the Internet is via 100Mbps Fast Ethernet that connects
to core routers which in turn connect to all of the major interchange
points on the Internet via multiple DS3 (45Mbps) and OC3 (155Mbps) circuits.
There are plans to upgrade our network connection to Gigabit Ethernet; we
just need to find some money to pay for it.

Wcarchive is physically located at the CRL Network Operations Center in
downtown San Francisco.

Each month, more than 10 million people visit wcarchive - sending out to them
more than 22 terabytes of files (as of April, 1999), with the only limit being
the Internet backbone(s).

Wcarchive is the biggest, fastest, busiest public FTP archive in the world.

If there is something we don't have online that you think we should, let
us know! We are always looking for ways to expand our collection of software
archives.

One note: We occasionally receive complaints about slow transfers or connection
timeouts. These are almost always caused by problems in the Internet and have
nothing to do with our server which, despite the large number of users, is far
from being overloaded. If you experience problems with your file transfers,
please try to investigate the problem with the "traceroute" (Unix) or "tracert"
(Windows/95) programs - this can be very useful in determining the cause of the
slowness. If the problem appears to be on our end, then please let us know
about it and we will bring the issue up with our Internet service provider.

Thanks for reading and happy downloading!

David Greenman
Walnut Creek CDROM

For further information, please e-mail ftp@ftp.cdrom.com or see
http://www.freebsd.org for FreeBSD information.