Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:56:58 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux_base-7.1 install problems

> file /usr/bin/catchsegv from install of glibc-common-2.2.2-10 conflicts
> with file from package glibc-2.1.2-11
> *** Error code 1
>
> There are hundreds/thousands of "file _____ from install of
> glibc-common-2.2.2-10 conflicts with file from pkackage glibc_2.1.2-11"
> lines.
>
> Could something be left over from when I pkg_delete'd linux_base-6?  If
> so, what?

My guess is that some package that you installed previously installed
glibc-2.1.2-11 with it. Deleting the previous version of linux would
therefore only delete the libc from the previous version, not a libc
obtained from a previous source.

> I cannot find any of the files on my system.  /usr/compat/linux
> only contains the dev, etc and var subdirectories.

try "locate libc | grep linux | more"
and what see you find, but update your locate database first.
Mine is in /compat/linux/lib

> catchsegv" does not return anything.  "locate catchsegv" says that
> catchsegv is in /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/catchsegv, but it's not, which
> leaves me utterly confused.

Your locate database is previous the deletion of your linux lib package.
update your locate database.