Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com
Subject:   Re: Mutexes and semaphores (was: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files

In article <200009250827.BAA12659@usr02.primenet.com>, Terry Lambert
<tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

> With the suggested mutex recursion (please -- use a counting
> semaphore, not a mutex, if you are going to permit recursion!),

Please explain why you think a counting semaphore has anything to do
with recursion.  To support recursion a mutual exclusion primitive
has to support the concept of ownership.  I.e., if you already own
it you can acquire it recursively, but if somebody else owns it then
you cannot.  A counting semaphore does not support that concept.  The
count is not a recursion count at all.  Search google for "counting
semaphore" and you'll find any number of introductory class notes on
semaphores.  Or cut right to the chase and go to a typical one at

http://www.erc.msstate.edu/~ioana/POWERPOINT/CS4163/slides/Threads/tsld022.htm

John