Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 23:39:42 -0500
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Printer To Get - Postscript

Stefan Esser wrote:

> On May 16, Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com> wrote:
> > Josef Grosch wrote:
> >
> > > My HP Deskjet 500 does a very nice job doing
> > > postscript. apsfilter works just fine and you can spend you money
> > > other thinks like hard disks :-)
> > >

> > Does the apsfilter work at all with newer HP printers like the 85x and
> > 870?  The 500 is not made anymore.  AFAIK, neither of these printers are
> > "WinPrinters".
>
> I just printed a few pages on my new 870, and I was really
> surprised to see how well it works with Ghostscript. The
> printer advances paper by a few centimeters (well, say by
> one inch :) per traversal of the printhead, if a B&W graphic
> is sent, and while I did not actually measure the time it
> takes to print a page, the speed feels much faster than that
> of a 4 page per minute laser printer.

One key to the 800 series speed is the width of the print head.. I think
prints about twice as much at a time as other printers (this also means
higher print quality due to less banding).

> There are only three things I don't like about this printer:
>
> 1) The ink needs a few more seconds to dry, when the sheet
>    has been printed.

True, but the ink itself is one of the reasons this printer has such
phenomenal black output.

> 2) Ejected sheets are not always correctly put into the output
>    tray and I'm afraid of the risk of a paper jam when printing
>    large files unattended, for that reason. Nothing bad has
>    happened, so far, but I'd rather stay near the printer ...

Hmm, mine has never done anything weird.  Have you made sure the
removable tray is corrected seated?  A customer of mine had problems you
describe, and it ended up being that the tray wasn't seated "quite"
right in the printer.

> 3) From what I've heard, there is no documentation about high
>    resolution graphics commands available for any HP printer.
>    The printer's manual does not even tell about the graphic
>    compression modes supported (but you can easily find them
>    by trying all of them). This limits printing to 300dpi, while
>    the actual physical resolution (pixel size on paper) appears
>    to be better, even on plain photo-copier paper (I did not yet
>    try printing on special color inkjet paper).

All I have found is a basic PCL5 command list from HP (somewhere on
their web site, I have no idea where now, but they have a search
engine).

> Anyway, if all you need is a personal printer with good print
> quality and speed, then the 870 may well be for you.

Yup... but for $500 i kind of wish I looked at one of those Epson
printers.  Especially if I had waited about 2 months and bought one of
their 1440dpi printers for $100 less.  BUT, I think the main reason I
bought this HP printer over any other is, well, it's from HP. ;>
I've never once had any major problems with their printers, especially
their lasers.

Chris Dillon