Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:39:43 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Marino Ladavac <lada@pc8811.gud.siemens.at>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package management (was Re: Come on guys, close a PR or two,

> This is a minor issue: I wrote SysV style, not SysV reimplementation.
> It would be to our advantage at least to be able to read the SysV
> packages.  We can have our own stream format (used by default when
> packaging) consisting basically of a header and a tar-gzipped data
> tarred together.  The header shall contain all dependency info, at least.
> This is not unlike the present package format.

A stream format would not meet the criteria for acceptance.

> Sounds fine, but I alone may not be able to implement the front-end.  The
> amount of unpacking necessary to retrieve the dependency info should be
> reasonable (i.e. tar xf -fast package header).

This is a crock.

> > 9) Packages can be installed without requiring a staging area equal in
> >    size to the unpacked package.
>
> This may prove to be difficult (or slow).  Would you agree to the staging
> area as a default optimization?

No.  A staging area is unnecessary (and in some cases impractical).
Imagine how you'd feel about trying to install (eg.) WordPerfect, where
you needed to find not only 70M for the package bundle, but another
150M for the staging area, and another 150M again for the installed
version.

(Yes, this is a real-world issue I confronted when trying to work out
 how to handle distributing the WordPerfect demo.)