Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:48:32 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        tolyar@mx.ru, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some troubles with pident on 4.0-STABLE

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 06:16:16AM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> Use the auth service built into 4.0's inetd:
>
> auth    stream  tcp     wait    root    internal        auth -d foobar
> -rgo UNIX

This was broken (last time I checked) if the ident query was spread
over two packets. Unfortunately common programs like tcpd do split
the request over two packtes, so it's not such a good idea to use
it.

See http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=16086 - the patch
I've included there, based on Hajimu UMEMOTO patch, seems to work
OK, but it might be a good idea to deactivate the itimer once you've
finished reading.

Maybe someone should take the PR from des, who is no longer inetd's
maintainer and give it to green who wrote the inetd's ident code?

	David.