Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:01:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape (HP SureStore T20) trouble

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Josh MacDonald wrote:

> I just installed a HP SureStore T20 SCSI tape drive on 3.0-RELEASE.
> My kernel is configured with the sa0 device, and dmesg reports:
>
> sa0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> sa0: <HP T20 3.00> Removable Sequential Access SCSI2 device
> sa0: 3.300MB/s transfers

Synchronous mode? How cheap....

> when I boot.  My other SCSI devices have been, and continue to work
> just fine.
>
> When I run `mt status' I get 3 lines of console message:
>
> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL. CDB: 1e 0 0 0 1 0
> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
> (sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): Invalid command operation code

That's been cleaned up recently. It's 'do not worry' anyway.

> and the output:
>
> Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x47            512 bytes      0        unsupported
> ---------available modes---------
> 0:        0x47            512 bytes      0        unsupported
> 1:        0x47            512 bytes      0        unsupported
> 2:        0x47            512 bytes      0        unsupported
> 3:        0x47            512 bytes      0        unsupported
>
> The density 0x47 is not listed in the mt man page.  It is a minicartridge
> format (QIC-3220) with a native capacity of 10GB.  Does anyone know what
> this means?

This means this is what the drive is reporting as the density code.

I don't know what this particular drive is, but I suspect that sadness
for 3.0-RELEASE may result if it's QIC of some kind. I'd get a 3.1-STABLE
kernel, and even then not all the QIC related bugs have been shaken out
(I'm still working on a couple).

-mtt