Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:12:25 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   "filesystem is full" during installation of 4.6.2-REL

[I was going to post this to -questions but figured that most discussion
of the ata problems took place on -stable and most interested people
would probably be reading -stable]

Hi everyone!

I've got a strange problem installing 4.6.2-RELEASE on an ageing K6-233
system. Searching the archives and googling hasn't turned up anything
useful.

On first boot of the 4.6.2 floppies I started getting the "READ_BIG"
errors on the systems cd-rom drive. Fortunately, I had no plan to use
the drive, so I simply disconnected it, and a subsequent boot went
flawlessly.

However, during an FTP install from ftp.uk.freebsd.org when it reaches
'chunk 4' the system displays a message saying "Write failure on
transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 240260 bytes)" and "/: write failed,
filesystem is full"

VTY1 shows :
.
.
bin/ls
bin/mkdev
bin/mv
pid 72 (cpio), uid 0 on /: filesystem is full
/stand/cpio: write error: No space left on drive
/stand/gunzip: failed fwrite

A quick /stand/df on VTY4 shows 101% capacity on /dev/md0c mounted on /
but just 1% capacity on /dev/ad0s1a mounted on /mnt. I've never delved
this far into a sysinstall installation before, but it sounds like it is
failing on unpacking files into a memory disk? What could have caused
this problem?

A reboot and going through the installation process again brought
exactly the same failure in exactly the same place.

Many thanks for any pointers and help.

Andrew.