Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2003 04:48:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: new interrupt code: panic when going multiuser

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 04-Nov-2003 Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> >
> >> I somehow can't get at a good vmcore :-(.  But I found out that the
> >> machine boots fine in "Safe Mode", where DMA and hw.ata.wc is turned off.
> >
> > Ok, if I set hw.ata.ata_dma=0 in loader.conf, it boots fine.  Could there
> > be some issue with ATAng + new interrupt code?
>
> Can you provide a dmesg please?  There may be a weird issue with
> some PPro's for example that I haven't been able to test.

I have noticed the following problems with the new interrupt code so far:
- it conflicts with a few thousand lines of local changes.
- yesterday's backup kernels which I preserved to run benchmarks with
  all hang at boot time while probing atapicam devices.  Backing out
  rev.1.23 of ata-lowlevel.c fixes the hang, but I didn't back up
  yesterday's sources so it will take some work to regenerate working
  versions of yesterday's kernels.

The following is without the local changes:
- cyintr(int unit) panics becauase it is passed a pointer to somewhere.
  I think all compat_isa devices are broken for unit 0 because unit 0
  is represented by a null pointer.
- on a BP6, UP kernels without apic work except for cyintr(), but SMP
  kernels have problems with missing interrupts for ata devices and hang
  at boot time.

Bruce