Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:29:33 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firebird client fails port install

Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au> writes:

> I'm trying to install php5-extensions (which includes firebird), but its
> failing with an error code 1 on firebird20-client. It does mention
> running make to build firebird, but not as root. So I've tried
> everything to get this to work: running make as my wheel group user,
> installing as a pkg instead.
>
> What could I be missing?
>
> (And before anybody asks: I ran portsnap fetch update twice yesterday -
> and I did run the update. I've learnt my lesson from last time...)

Unless you set variables to put the work directory somewhere non-standard,
the ports system will try to do its building under each port's directory,
which is normally not writable by regular users.  Similarly, installing a
port (or a package, for the same reasons) normally requires root
permissions for access to system directories and in many cases to let
programs installed by ports run as special-purpose users.

What is the reason you're trying to install ports as a different user?

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/