Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:57:13 +0400
From:      Anonymous <swell.k@gmail.com>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Subject:   Re: CFR: Replace man/manpath/whatis/apropos with a shell script

Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> writes:

> Am 11.09.2010 um 09:35 schrieb Gordon Tetlow:

>>> /etc/man.conf
>>>
>>> Hmm, and if LOCALBASE != /usr/local? hier(7) does not specify /usr/local
>>> as the only place installed packages may reside in, only default one.
>>>

>> That variable is not easily found in shell. I'm open to suggestions on how
>> to figure it out. I suppose I could try something like make -V LOCALBASE

Nah, don't bring make(1) dependency. The user may have WITHOUT_MAKE in
his src.conf. So, just use LOCALBASE from environment if it's defined.

>> since it would be in /etc/make.conf if it is set. Another alternative would
>> be to parse the PATH and look for ../etc/man.d for each path component. That

How about let user control search_path behaviour?

  PATH_MAN_SUB bin/../man
  PATH_MAN_SUB bin/../.man # e.g. for ~/.bin + ~/.man
  PATH_MAN_SUB /usr/bin/../share/man
  PATH_CONF_SUB bin/../etc/man.d

It's a bit more flexible than MANPATH_MAP ever was. BTW, if you care
about aesthetics ../../../../ can be eleminated with realpath(1).

>> would be even more generic (and allow for the user to customize it
>> potentially).
>
> Take it from /etc/man.conf, like the rc.d paths are resolved?

This'll work, too. I already have to set a bunch of variables in rc.conf
because rc.d avoids LOCALBASE as some kind of curse. While environ(7)
exist just for that, make using non-default configuration more easy.