Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:01:21 +0400
From:      Nikita Danilov <nikita@clusterfs.com>
To:        Igor Shmukler <shmukler@mail.ru>
Cc:        Morten Liebach <m@mongers.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Xserve?

Igor Shmukler writes:
 > > > If original author wants to mature OS with MAC and SMP support SELinux
 > > > might be a good candidate.
 > > > However, Linux does not have jails. Only other OS that has them is
 > > > Solaris 10 which does not run on PPC.
 > >
 > > There's something named User Mode Linux which seems to be a little like
 > > jails.  I haven't got the faintest idea how well it works.
 >
 > I could be wrong, but AFAIK UML is not same thing as jail. AFAIK, UML
 > has a serious performance penalty.  It used to work pretty well for
 > 2.4.x kernels. However, there are associated issues with keeping UML
 > up to date.  I don't think UML ever made it into mainline. Jail is
 > part of kernel.

UML (User Mode Linux, user-mode-linux.sf.net) is a port of Linux kernel
to Linux used as an underlying platform. UML kernel is built as a normal
user-level executable, that is run on a "host" machine, providing
"guest" Linux instance. You can log into guest, run processes there,
attach debugger to it, etc. It's more like vmware than jail.

UML is a part of 2.6 mainline.

Nikita.