Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 07:55:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6 [ was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge ]

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, David Greenman wrote:

>    I haven't heard much about it. It's probably too soon to make any
> judgements about the performance of Intel's "Pentium II" stuff.

Unless they change the chip, we've got benchmarks that don't look too
good.

>    This might be a reasonable way to go as long as you don't need SMP.
>
> >What do you think, will FreeBSD / gcc support the new CPU without
> >problems ? Any clues ? Should I wait for the K6 or buy a PPro
> >based board now ?
>
>    We'll have to wait and see, but I suspect that it will work just fine. The
> price of P6's has come down so much that I don't see any reason to delay.

I think the current price/performance breaking curve is currently at a
PPro 150 (unless you use a lot of 16 bit apps).  Depending on quality and
shopping ability, a PPro 150 and Natoma motherboard will run $400-$500,
and the PPro 150 is 3/3 for safely overclocking to 166, which gets you the
33Mhz PCI bus.  Actually, 2 of the PPros I've played around with ran at
180, at least well enough to do make a kernel and run same kernel.  Yes, I
know I'm a bad boy.