Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:05:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rang, Anton" <anton.rang@isilon.com>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt@freebsd.org>, ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Rang, Anton wrote:

>> If you want interoperability just use /usr/bin/env bash as a shebang.
>
> That doesn't work for this use case -- the user shell coming from LDAP
> -- but I agree that the port shouldn't be modifying /usr/bin.
>
> It's easy enough to add the symlink manually after installing the port
> if you're in this situation, or there may be a way to configure the
> LDAP module to map /bin/bash to /usr/local/bin/bash (I haven't looked
> to see what is supported here).

We have used LDAP on Solaris for years, and have mixed environments
of Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD.  We use /usr/local/bin/bash in LDAP
for shells, then either link that to the system /bin/bash or install
more up-to-date bash in /usr/local/bin.  This way you can always
install a more up-to-date shell in /usr/local/bin without changing
the base OS - you don't want base OS shell scripts to break by
updating to a newer shell.

--
DE