Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:44:43 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Old Way Was Better

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>For around 4 months now I've been mainly using Debian because I couldn't
>get FreeBSD to work on my new laptop.

What was the issue, just out of curiosity?

>I really like the way they do
>things.  In a nutshell, they always have *three* branches:
>
>"stable" -- frozen, only bugfixes go in
>"testing" -- stuff in a queue for a "stable" release
>"unstable" -- the main development distribution

You're right - that is a nice way to do things.

>I don't know how this could work for the FreeBSD base system, which is

There was some discussion several years ago when Jordan was still about,
and again a few months back, that making everything packages was a good
goal to aim for. It got tied up with the sysinstall bikeshed though.

>The DragonFly people seem to have some ambitious goals,

That's an understatment.

>and Matt even
>mentions Debian as an example of how to do packaging right.  I'd like to
>give DF a spin, but I may have no better luck on this laptop than with
>FreeBSD.

It won't. DF is not that different from FBSD at this stage for the
majority of stuff. It certainly isn't going to be sufficiently different
to get you to a point of being more likely to install. Whenever FBSD
dails, I find Net or Open to save the day most times.

--
Paul Robinson