Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:00:45 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Flemming Froekjaer" <flemming@froekjaer.org>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD

Flemming writes:

> The originaly poster wants to run Java. That
> should be enough.

He wants to run Java _and_ FreeBSD.

> It you dont like Java, sun or Starbucks feel
> free to avoid them, but don't try to force him
> away from Java, because all you will achive
> is to drive him away from FreeBSD.

I'm not trying to drive him towards or away from Java or FreeBSD.  I'm just
pointing out that if he needs something that doesn't exist on FreeBSD, then he
should choose an OS on which it exists, or write the necessary support himself.
The original tone of the question was quite familiar:  Very much along the lines
of "I want x to run on y operating system, so will someone please write the code
for me?"  That's enough of a demand with an OS that you are paying for, but it
seems excessive for a free operating system.  Who will pay for the development?
And then it is followed by the veiled threat of going with another OS if Java
isn't immediately forthcoming.  So what?  Lots of people are happy with FreeBSD
with or without Java; and those who need something that FreeBSD doesn't have
will typically choose some other OS.

Like I said, it's like complaining because FreeBSD doesn't support IIS; if you
want IIS, you run Windows.

> Maybe so, but if you need Java, then you got
> to have it.

Logically, then, if you need Java and you can't get it on FreeBSD, you have to
run some other OS.  It's not going to suddenly drop out of the sky because you
complain that it's not there.

> FreeBSD can do a lot more than just hosting
> a Apache server.

All the more reason to run it.

> Just because that is all you know how to install,
> does not meen that others are not using it for
> a lot more diverse set of applications.

I did not say otherwise.

> What do you know what people care about?

I look at the numbers.  I administer, visit, and support sites.  And I don't see
a lot of Java, although there are always a few out there who are very much into
it.

> I run Java on my FreeBSD boxes.

That's your prerogative.  It helps use up all the spare processor power.

> If you have to run Java, or want to run Java,
> then you should do it on the host that best
> meet your needs.

If you have to run Java, then you must select an operating system that supports
Java.

> Those needs could be determined by a
> lot of other factors that Java it self.

Then you must make choices.

> Besides solaris is not free for production servers.

Just like Java.  Hmm.

> Finaly solaris may be a fine OS, but not on
> x86 architecture.

I bet it runs better on Sun hardware.  But I don't think Sun hardware is free.
I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

> As you are demostrating slavish devotion to php
> or whatever it is you favor for dynamic page
> generation?

I didn't mention PHP, or dynamic page generation.  As a general rule, I prefer
conservative site and system design, with a minimum of bells and whistles.

> No. It's like asking how to get the FrontPage
> CGI's to run on FreeBSD.

The original question addressed the existence of Java support, not just making
it run.  It's one thing to get a supported feature working; it's quite another
to want a feature that doesn't exist.

> He is not asking for a specific implementation,
> just a runtime enviroment that will run his servlets.

So no runtime environment exists?  See above.