Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:26:09 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, "Schmalzbauer, Harald" <H.Schmalzbauer@belenus.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AFS for FreeBSD?

At 11:11 AM -0700 10/18/01, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Schmalzbauer, Harald wrote:
>
>  > see www.openafs.org. I read that somebody has successfully ported
>  > the server. I haven't tried it yet but I hope it's working. AFS
>  > is THE solution for many problems.
>
>/usr/ports/net/arla is the only *client* that works for FreeBSD. For
>an AFS *server* check out openafs. I believe there is a porting
>effort to get the openafs client working on FreeBSD, but I don't
>know the status of it.
>
>BTW, there is a freebsd-afs mailing list. Please subscribe.

It would actually be better to go to www.openafs.org and subscribe to
the mailing-lists there.  They have a list for OpenAFS-port-freebsd ,
and that gets more traffic than the freebsd-afs mailing list.  The
freebsd-afs mailing list was created before openafs showed up, and
was really intended in getting a "transarc client" for freebsd.  That
did not get very far before IBM decided to spin-off openAFS.

I'll also say that I am looking forward to openafs clients and servers
for freebsd.  I realize arla should work as a client, but it would be
easier for me to sell FreeBSD with an "official openAFS client" here
at RPI.  Right now the openAFS for linux client is one of the things
which causes us to use linux for some new servers.  ARLA may very well
be fine code, but politically it is a harder sell.