Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:54:55 -0800
From:      "Jeff Shevlen" <jshevlen@passedpawn.com>
To:        "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: port 1024 and system BIND

: By default I believe BIND uses a random port above 1024 for
everything,
: if you have a restrictive firewall you can change this behavior in
: named.conf:
:
: query-source address * port 53;
:
: may be the directive. i think its to reduce BIND's dependence on
running
: as uid root. if you force it to use port 53 for everything you may
not
: be able to run it as non root (I haven't tried forcing it to 53)
:

Thanks nate,

I had a look at the named.conf and it makes mention of the
query-source directive in one of the comments.  It says that versions
8.1 and up (I'm using 9.2 btw), use unprivilaged ports to communicate.
It doesn't make any reference to using this directive and running the
server as an unprivilaged user -- not a definative answer, but it
looks good for unprivilaged users.  Ftr.

I have a few more questions, and I should better explain what my
situation is:

I'm behind a firewall and I'd like to allow zone transfers with an
internet server that would act as a slave.

Question 1.1:
If I force port 53, and the slave server is joe blow's free DNS
(granitecanyon.com), will the slave be able to figure out I want to
talk on port 53 all by itself?

Quesiton 1.2:
Does anyone know if later versions of BIND try port 53 for old time's
sake?

Question 1.3:
When BIND sends out a notify, does this signal tell other DNS servers
it's open for business on 53 only, for instance?

Maybe the real question is whether I can run this setup behind a
firewall...

Jeff