Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 05:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        nclayton@lehman.com
Cc:        jobaldwi@vt.edu, motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

 * From: Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>

 *   Chinese (EUC)             zh_CN.EUC                 zh

I believe the correct form of this is zh_CN.eucCN, but you should ask
Mandarin experts to be sure.

 * Note, however, that the installation directory semantics for the Japanese
 * documentation will then be subtly different from the semantics for every
 * other language variant that can be installed.  I think this is a bad thing,
 * and that it should be phased out over time (say, over the course of the
 * transition from one major release of FreeBSD to the next -- so that
 * v4.0 would ship with the switched order, as Satoshi is saying, and that
 * v5.0 would ship with it back so that it is the same as for every other
 * language).

And we have explained over and over why it makes little sense for
Japanese admins to do it that way.  It is not the "switched" order --
it's the "natural" order for Japanese systems.  It's not the matter of
whether we have time between the switch over or not.  It does not make
sense for us to switch.

I don't think we are going to reach an agreement on this.  The whole
discussion is getting pointless.  Can we just agree to disagree?

All we want is a little autonomy to select our own defaults.  As long
as proper symlinks are established to maintain semantic consistency, I
don't see why it is a "bad thing" to be different from others.

Satoshi