Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:30:01 +0200
From:      "Joris Bastiaans" <g.j.a.bastiaans@student.utwente.nl>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE installation fails...

Dear reader,

On my 486DX2, equiped with an old Quantum Maverick harddisk, I installed
FreeBSD 3.1 some time ago. I recently tried to reinstall this machine with
FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE but had some difficulties. When booting the bootfloppies
I created, the systems locks up during the ISA controller's initialization.
The 'ata' driver also mentions I have a *buggy* chipset. This doesn't
surprise me, because I use an old ESDI harddisk. It doesn't matter how I
configure my kernel; in visual, as well as in CLI mode, the systems locks...
I figured I needed a specific kernel for my system during the
installation...

So, I built a custom kernel for that 486DX (on one of my other machines that
runs FreeBSD 4.1 rather sincely) and copied it over the GENERIC kernel on
the bootfloppy... The kernel boots without errors (yeah!) and detects my wd0
harddisk properly, just like my running 3.1 version, but when I try to do a
'standard installation', sysinstall tells me I don't have any fixed disks
installed... (h-uh?)

What's wrong? Do I have to create a new MFSROOT disk with an adapted version
of sysinstall as well, or could there be something wrong in the process of
creating that bootfloppy with my custom kernel. Is there any other way I can
install FreeBSD 4.1 on this system (I prefer a clean reinstall!)?

Thanks in advance,

Joris Bastiaans.