Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 12:52:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bernard Klatt <admin@ftcnet.com>
To:        sreid@edmbbs.iceonline.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware for ISP / WWW server

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995 sreid@edmbbs.iceonline.com wrote:

> What hardware would you all recommend for an ISP / Web server? We'll
> probably have a 56k digital line (Maybe T1) and an as-yet-unknown number
> of dial-up slip/ppp users. Here's what I was thinking...

I'd recommend taking a look at the  www.amazing.com/internet  Web page.
It should answer nearly all ISP startup related questions.

> Pentium 90 (PCI) with 256k or 512k cache
> 32 megs of RAM
> Cheap SCSI CDROM (1x or 2x, only for installing FreeBSD)
> Fast SCSI hard drive(s)... SCSI is best?
> Cheap VGA card+monitor
> 28.8 kbps modems for dial-up

Don't buy 'cheap' here.  If you can afford it, go with USR Courier
V.Everything external's.  The new ones do 33.6 (maybe 38.4).

> Cheap ethernet card so a nearby Dos machine can have net access

Avoid NE-2000, 3Com 3C509's have better drivers.

> With 32 megs, we'll have only a minimal newsfeed... Everything will
> be handled by this one machine. Is this do-able?

Yes, but you'll want to move news to a 2nd machine as soon as possible.

> We were thinking of starting with just a 1-2 gig HD, and if we need more
> space, buy another drive. And HD brand recommendations? Is SCSI the best
> choice for the HD? Any recommendations on the brand of SCSI interface?
> Any brand recommendations on the motherboard?

SCSI is the ONLY reasonable choice for a multi-tasking operating system.
SCSI-II is fine, you don't really need SCSI-III or Wide.

Bernard Klatt   Owner  Fairview Tech Ctr Ltd.   www.ftcnet.com