Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:14:49 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD ever see native IPv6 ??

>> Are you just teasing or are you serious?
>Well, according to what was discussed earlier he is serious. But from
>prolonged exposure to the kame lists I (think I) know that the FreeBSD ipv6
>stuff is only available for 3.x and below.

	We (KAME) are using 3.2-RELEASE and 2.2.8-RELEASE because we can't
	base our IPv6 development on top of moving target.
	FreeBSD 3.x-STABLE and 4.x are moving target (which moves very quickly)
	and are unusable as base version for us - if we need to chase two
	moving things (IPv6 and FreeBSD) we are doomed.

	There has been NRL/INRIA/KAME integration work going on (basically
	to avoid "4 BSDs and 3 IPv6 = 12 choices" nightmare by making one
	IPv6 stack).  There are, mainly, some (or too many) management
	issues there.  We will be resolving management issues issue very soon,
	hopefully by next week.
	There's incomplete "unified" codebase there, which is not very
	ready for public consumption.  Anyway please hold till the managment
	issue is resolved, I believe I can give you a good news.

itojun