Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:40:45 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who broke sort(1) ?

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:09:31 -0700, Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com> s
    aid:

> > When's the first time the FreeBSD sort(1) man page mentioned that this
> > syntax was deprecated?  Can we at least start from there?
>
> It does not appear to have ever been properly documented.
>
> I don't object to maintaining backwards compatibility for a few more
> releases (even if the application writers are the ones at fault),
> since many more people read the manual pages than read the Standard.
> However, I would point out that this isn't the first time we broke a
> traditional syntax in favor of reducing restrictions on argument
> names: see the recent history of chown(8).

While this is true, consider that rev 1.1 of chown.8 says:

 COMPATIBILITY
     Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to
     distinguish the group name.  This has been changed to be a colon (``:'')
     character so that user and group names may contain the dot character.

revision 1.1
date: 1994/05/26 05:22:22;  author: rgrimes;  state: Exp;

It's also true that this was widely known and the transition was mostly
orderly.  We didn't turn it off one night as a side effect of another
change that broke even our own world builds.

Cheers,
-Peter