Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:15:32 -0500
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Dmitry Alyabyev <dimitry@al.org.ua>
Cc:        Troy Settle <troy@psknet.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Storage Reccomendations (3Ware vs Adaptec vs ....)

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:47:01AM +0200, Dmitry Alyabyev wrote:

> I can't say about 3Ware but according to experience with Adaptec 21xx RAID
> cards I would say they are _extremely_ slow in case of RAID5.
> RAID 0,1,10 works well and stable

I found the 21xx's to be *alright* using RAID-5.  Rebuilding is
especially slow.  A customer at work has a RAID-5 array with four 36GB
drives plus a hotspare, giving them just over 100GB of space.
Rebuilding takes approximatly four hours.  According to the Adaptec
knowledge base (Article ID 2077), the 21xx series is slower than other
cards (it mentions the 32xx and 34xx series) due to the lack of a
co-processor for performing XOR operations.