Date:      19 Jun 2001 09:00:16 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>] Wireless setup

My apologies if this has already appeared. I posted it last night, and
have still not seen it on the list...

Hi there,

I am looking at going wireless at home. My server / internet gateway
lives downstairs, below the computer room upstairs. The walking
distance is about 15 meters. The direct distance between the machines
is about 8 meters, but with a floor between them.

At the end of the day I need to have 3 laptops and 2 pc's on the
network. The one pc is my internet gateway and home file server. The
other PC is my main machine and my games machine. The laptops are my
wife's and her parents.

The PCI cards that I am looking at at are D-Link DWL-500's and the
PCMCIA cards are D-Link DWL-650's. Are these cards supported under
4.3-STABLE ? The DWL-500 looks like a pcmcia card plugged into some
kind of PCI bridge... Also, do they have the range for this kind of
setup ?

Lastly, what base station can people advise ? I need the cheapest one
possible that will do the job and keep up with my needs for about 9
months.

Any advice on these matters would be much appreciated. I don't really
want to spend money on the wrong solution :)

Thanks,

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk