Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 13:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> (4) Same as (3), but use the current ${PREFIX} (usually /usr/local or
>     /usr/X11R6)
>
>  - Same NFS problem
>  - PREFIX and X11BASE now defined in two locations (bsd.port.mk and
>    sysconfig)
>
> My opinion is that due to the first reasons on their respective lists,
> options (2) and (3) are infeasible.  I don't have any problem with
> ports touching /etc (that directory is hardly sacred, and is one of
> the things you need to backup during upgrades anyway) but since there
> seems to be a large contingent of people who feel strongly against it,
> I think it's wise to avoid option (1) too.
>
> That leaves option (4).  We can deal with multiple startup dirs
> easily, just a couple more lines of shell programming.  And to
> alleviate the second problem, I propose the following:
>
>  @ Define LOCAL_PREFIX and X11BASE in /etc/sysconfig
define RCLIST in /etc/sysconfig

RCLIST= ${LOCAL_PREFIX}/etc/rc.d ${X11BASE}/etc/rc.d

for PATH in $RCLIST
do
  for FILE in $PATH/*.sh
  do
    if [ -x $FILE ]
    then
      sh -c $FILE start
    fi
  done
done

The problem with this is you cannot interleave operations..
ALL scripts in X11BASE are executed after ALL scripts in LOCAL_PREFIX