Date:      Thu,  5 Apr 2001 10:19:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@dojo.tao.ca>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>, The Anarcat <anarcat@dojo.tao.ca>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboot, no panic. Recovering from a crash.

Well-well, you know this might just be it! I worried about my power supply's
size when I bought a few more gizmos for my box back then but kinda "forgot"
the issue altogether after runnning the box peacefully for full months.

Now I'm worried. I think I *will* change the power after all. :) I don't even
how big it is, thinking of it now! But I do know that the stuff I have do suck
a lot of power:

Motherboard
Video Card
SCSI Card
Network Card
Floppy drive (just started working again)
2 serial and 1 parallel ports (must not be that big)
Sound card (just downgraded AWE32 -> SB16C, 'cause 4.x can't handle the AWE)
Hard drive 30Gb 7200rpm
Atapi CD
SCSI CDRW

Yeah, that's evil. All the scsi stuff and the network card were not there in
the initial setup.

I recently changed the hard drive from a Quantum Fireball 3.2Gb 5400 rpm to a
Maxtor 30Gb 7200 rpm, so that might also jump into the game.

And I just switched the floppy with another pc so now it's working again.

How much power do you think that uses? I don't know how much power I have. How
can I tell? That's gotta be kinda standard?

Wow. I really got to put a few bucks on this machine. Poor little chap... :)

Thanks, that was really valuable. I really should've thought of this before..

A.

Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com> said:

> How big is your power supply, and is it working up to snuff?
> The new 40-50x cd drives draw quite a lot of power when they
> get spinning fast.  I had an old Gateway case/ps that would not
> handle a K6-3/400 with 40x cd-rom copying to an ide hard drive.
> I replaced the cd-rom with an older 8x and have had no trouble
> since.  In my case, the system would freeze in the middle of the
> fbsd (4.0-rel) install with the fast cd-rom drive.
>
> Barney Wolff
>
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 09:42:25AM -0500, The Anarcat wrote:
> >
> > What particular this time is that I was doing a copy off my SCSI CDR.
That's