Date:      Thu, 13 May 2004 09:28:55 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Muthu_T@Dell.com
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Couldn't login via SSH

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:56:33PM +0530, Muthu_T@Dell.com wrote:

>    After the install, when I first login using root, it doesn't wait for
> password prompt.
> It straightaway goes in by displaying the /etc/motd and then displays
> the shell prompt.
>
> But I remember that I had given the password for root, while installing
> FreeBSD.

Installation didn't exactly go smoothly. Always double-check if things
are as you expect them to be in such cases.

> Then remount the root partition as read-write mode and started the sshd
> server successfully.
>
> But I cannot login either from another another machine in the network or
> using 'ssh localhost'
> Command on the same m/c.
> It throws the "Permission denied (publickey, keyboard-interactive)"
> error.
>
> Why Password is not accepted while logging in?
> What is the issue with the SSH daemon?

There's no issue. The server is simply configured to disallow passwords
on FreeBSD. Change the configuration of the server or create a public
key.

Please understand that if people are new to FreeBSD, they very often
have the wrong expectations. What automaticly works on some other OS
may not work on FreeBSD without changing the configuration first.

My guess is that you dived in the deep end by trying FreeBSD for the
first time on a new platform. That's fine, but that also means that
you have to work at least 3 times as hard to make sure the problem is
not pilot error or generic FreeBSD before reporting problem. There
are basicly 3 lists that you can or should use:

	questions@FreeBSD.org	- Generic questions like the SSH
				  issue.
	current@FreeBSD.org	- Platform independent issues related
				  to using development code.
	ia64@FreeBSD.org	- ia64 specific issues like the
				  sysinstall behaviour.

The bottom line is that I cannot and will not answer every question
that's posted on the ia64@ list, simply because I don't have the time
for it nor want to give up important work to make time for it.

Please keep the above in mind when you run into something,