Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:54:17 -0400
From:      Brian Bobowski <bbobowski@cogeco.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCM not appearing in /dev ?

Okay, I recently got a nice Gateway 510S. I found that my Sound Blaster Live!
Value, for whatever reason, causes Windows XP to hang if it is installed.
Thus, I've been staying with the onboard sound card.

However, I'm having trouble getting that to work under FreeBSD now that I
finally shrunk a partition to make room. On boot, the following was reported:

-----
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)
-----

After a bit of poking around, I discovered that kldload'ing snd_driver, after
a bunch of false starts, produced:

-----
pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> mem 0xfebff800-0xfebff8ff,0xfebffc00-0xfebffdff
irq 17 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1981B AC97 Codec>
-----

kldunload'ed that, and kldload'ed snd_ich instead; same results. kldstat
reports that snd_pcm loaded as well.

However, pcm0 doesn't exist in /dev.

There's a snd_ad1816, but not 1981. Try the ad1816 and I get:

-----
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
-----

I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1. cat /dev/sndstat reports:

-----
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> at io 0xfebffc00, 0xfebff800 irq 17 bufsz 16384
(1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
-----

Did I miss some ultra-important thing here? I haven't compiled a custom kernel
and, for the time being, would like to avoid doing so if possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Brian Bobowski
bbobowski@cogeco.ca