Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:26:29 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@thefly.plutotech.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] aah-2940uw, disk need low level format

>called adaptec support.  after changing a number of controller
>parameters on the aha-2940uw, each followed by a reboot.  adaptec
>says "you have to low level format".  they state that the geometry
>used by the aha-1540cp is not compatible with the aha-2940uw because
>the aha-1540cp runs the scsi bus at 5 MB/s async and the aha-2940uw
>want to run the scsi bus at 10 MB/s sync.
>
>this is the first time that i have heard such a recommendation.
>does this match anyone's experience?

Its not uncommon to have to dump and restore the data on a drive when
switching between controllers with different translations (this is only
neccessary if you need to boot off of the disk or access it via DOS BTW),
but the 1540 and 2940 should have the same translation options.  The transfer
speed should not affect how the data is stored on the media.  It sounds
to me like the support tech you talked to was either on drugs or figured that
by the time you low leveled the drive and restored your data and called back,
he'd have gone home already.  Perhpas have some sort of IRQ conflict with an
ISA device?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations