Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 11:34:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Networking [not completely FreeBSD related]

This question isn't completely FreeBSD related, but I have been told its
impossible, so I figure I could use FreeBSD to solve it. :-)

A standard T-1 connection, long before the internet was popularized, was
just a datapipe between two points. No packets, no IP addresses, no
nothing. Particularly in the voice-multiplexing area.

Nowadays, T-1 connections are used very differently.

Can anyone think of a way, or know of an existing solution, that can
somehow emulate an old T-1 style datapipe on an IP network. Most likely
this would be ether. I would really prefer a solution that didn't involve
any heavy digitization for a video or a voice stream, just something like
connecting a TSU to a V.35 jack connected to a FreeBSD machine, run
something on it, route it across the network, and have a similar machine
reconstitute the original input.

Its bizarre, I know. If you have any ideas, I would REALLY appreciate
anything.

Thanks,

-Jerry.