Date:      24 Nov 1999 16:40:08 -0800
From:      Matt Braithwaite <matt@braithwaite.net>
To:        Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STRIP (was Re: richochet modems)

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:34:48 -0500 (EST), Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu> said:

> My StarMode code, HUMR, is superior to STRIP in that it requires
> *no* hardwired database of IP-to-MAC address mappings--that is, it
> allows users who don't know each other's MAC addresses to power up
> near one another and *dynamically* discover the required ARP
> entries. In essence, HUMR implements ARP over the non-broadcast
> Metricom medium.

That *is* pretty cool.  On the other hand, STRIP is an adequate
substitute for PPP mode (i.e., mobile node to Internet gateway, rather
than mobile node to mobile node), and it runs on Linux as well, for
people who are into that sort of thing.

--
Matt Braithwaite                        Here in my car, I can only receive.