Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:53:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Anders Lind <anders.lind@transcom.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question abt downloading

I just downloaded 3.1-Release yesterday successfully.  The following are
the steps that I used:

(1)  Go to ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/floppies to download
two files:  kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.  You can use Netscape or simply type
ftp under a DOS prompt.

(2)  Go to ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/tools to download the
file named: fdimage.exe.

(3)  On a DOS prompt, execute the following commands:

     fdimage kern.flp a:
     fdimage mfsroot.flp a:

     This creates two diskettes.

(4)  Insert your kern.flp floppy into the floppy drive on the machine you
want to use FreeBSD and reboot.  A little while, you will be prompted to
insert the mfsroot.flp.

(5)  After this, the visual configuration menu should appear and you can
following the steps step by step (I use novice installation).  If you are
not familiar with the procedure, check the freebsd comprehensive book
online.

(6)  If you want to install from FTP, you must specify the gateway and
name server addresses correctly and know the IP address assigned to your
machine.

(7)  The installation is easier than I thought and I did it for the very
first time!

Good Luck.

-Zhihui