Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:58:11 +0100
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        nodje <nodje.co@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing freeBSD on an Intel RAID5 partition

Sounds like you have one of those 'fake' raid controllers
(http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html ), where its software raid with
a hook into the bios so its bootable, while the work is done in
software. This isnt supported by Freebsd (the fake raid 1 is supported
by the ataraid driver for many chipsets though.) I dont know of any work
to get it supported, although if you want software RAID5 gvinum supports
it (and thats actively worked on.)

Vince