Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:49:53 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        "Rodrigo A B Freire" <bsdstuffs@brasilia.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie: 4.4-stable, how to? - And the CVSupIT bug.

> From: Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:52:59 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Sunday 13 January 2002 06:13 pm, Rodrigo A B Freire wrote:
> >     Hi everyone, and thanks for replying!
> >
> >     But... Well, CVSup, by itself isn't kinda complicated, but.. Umm..
> > After cvsupping, is there anything else to do?
> >     If just CVSup is enough to keep the machine up to date, GREAT! I've got
> > it!
>
> No, that's not it.  See "the leading edge" in the handbook and
> /usr/src/UPDATING.  But in a nutshell,
>
> cvsup
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld KERNCONF=your-custom-kernel
> make kernel KERNCONF=your-custom-kernel
> reboot to single-user mode  (boot -s ; fsck -u ; mount -a -t ufs ; swapon)
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld KERNCONF=your-custom-kernel
> mergemaster
>
> reboot.

Close and probably functional, but I would suggest:
cvsup
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=your-custom-kernel
reboot to single-user mode  (boot -s ; fsck -p ; mount -a -t ufs)
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot.

The KERNCONF is only used to build the kernel, so it's not needed for
the other "make" lines. I don't see the '-u' option in the fsck man
page, but '-p' will do the trick.

I also don't use "swapon" as the install process should not swap unless
your system has VERY limited memory. If it does, I'd suggest "swapon -a".

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)