Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:42:00 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Purchasing the correct hardware: dual-core intel?  Big cache?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:59:29 -0500
Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com> wrote:

> If your database application is CPU bound, you may need to re-architect the
> database.  You may need more indexes.  You may be calculating values on
> queries, rather than storing calculated values.

I appreciate your concern about our re-architecting, but we've already
got a group focusing on the data model.  My current project is to
analyze the performance of the app with regard to specific hardware
and make recommendations as to what hardware should be purchased for
new systems.

All I want is a way to track CPU cache usage so I can determine whether
larger caches are worth the $$$.

> There are many ways to optimize a RDBMS performance, but the first thing to
> do is analyze the data model, and how the data is used.

Our current data model appears to be as optimized as is reasonable.
With this carefully planned data model in use, we run our test
framework to load the test server environment, and find that
CPU on the database server is the current bottleneck.  Thus I need to
find a way to speed up _that_ bottleneck.

And this boils down to:
How can I tell if 2M cache is enough or if larger cache sizes will
improve CPU throughput, without investing in the hardware?

It may boil down to this being impossible.  If that's the case, I'll
recommend that we purchase one of the 8M cache systems to test it
out.  It's a bit of an investment:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&oc=pe6850pad&s=biz

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.