Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:29:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: debug.witness_skipspin

On 21-Jan-01 Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why this sysctl is read-only? Just for
> laughs, I built a kernel with a writeable debug.witness_skipspin, and
> experienced no ill effects from switching back and forth.

Hmmm.  I made it read only because you can get inconsistent state if, for
example, witness is on when a lock is acquired but not when it is released.  In
that case, witness never notices that it is released and thinks the lock order
is messed up when it isn't.  Perhaps sysctl() is safe from this race however
since spinlocks disable interrupts.