Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it impossible to upgrade FreeBSD systems?

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Michael R. Wayne wrote:

> Environment:
>    Machines sitting miles away in colo space.  No floppy, CDROM,
>    keyboard, monitor, or console.  Just Ethernet and a hard drive.
>
> Goal:
>    Binary upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3 RELEASE, from remote site.
>
> Problem:
>    All docs state that old versions of sysinstall should not be
>    used but new version of sysinstall is not found on CDROM #1.
>
> Attempted solution:
>    NFS mount the CDROM on the target machine, cd to /cdrom/bin and
>    sh install.sh

[snip]

> I can't believe people actually travel to remote locations to shove
> floppies into servers to upgrade them.  So, how DO people upgrade
> machines?

The usual method is to cvsup sources and make world, build a new
kernel and install it, merge /usr/src/etc as appropriate, and reboot.
Apparently you don't have space to do this?

If you want to do a binary upgrade, you can download the distributions
to this machine (I'm not sure why your nfs mount here didn't work)
and use the install.sh scripts.  But the binary distro will overwrite
/etc, which then needs to be reconfigured--hostname, nameservers,
hosts, rc.conf, password files, the works.  Backing up /etc and
selectively reinstalling it files would be critical, before rebooting.

You can also do a buildworld on another machine, and then download
/usr/src and /usr/obj to this machine, and do a make installworld.
That takes space but doesn't require the colo'd machine to do the
build.  You still have to merge /usr/src/etc and build a kernel.

Actually the upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3 is not especially tricky.

Annelise