Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 2003 05:50:25 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to Setup Reverse DNS on LAN?

When connecting via ssh to my FBSD boxes, it takes over a minute before the
connection is established.  Searching the archives suggests that this is due
to a failed reverse DNS lookup that must time out before connecting.
Suggestions include adding the hosts to the local host file which I've done.
However this does not seem to provide reverse DNS resolution which appears
required.

For example, I have a Win XP machine at 192.168.1.3 named 'bigdaddy' and a
FBSD box at 192.168.1.2 named 'blacksheep'.  blacksheep contains a line in
/etc/hosts:

192.168.1.3             bigdaddy  bigdaddy.mykitchentable.net

Using the 'host' command, I see that 'bigdaddy' gets resolved:

blacksheep> host bigdaddy
bigdaddy.mykitchentable.net has address 192.168.1.3

But 192.168.1.3 does not:

blacksheep> host 192.168.1.3
Host not found, try again.

Short of setting up named, is there a way to solve my problem?

Thanks,

Drew